27 October 2010

Let's Play a Game!!

I like to call this little game "What's in the Pot??"

   












Any guesses? Hmm? 

(BTW - Don't you looove my vintage Club pot? I swear I use this pot more than any of the others I own. I'm so glad I found it at the thrift store last year. I found a smaller pot a few months ago & hope I can find more soon)

Okay, here's another clue. Let's peek inside the pot, shall we?













Hmmm. Melting butter. Yum! Well, browning butter, actually! 

Another clue, this time it's more Butterprint Pyrex!


 Surely by now you've guessed that I was making Rice Krispy Treats, right?!? Oh, but let me assure you that these weren't just any ol rice krispy treats. Nah. These were the most scrumptious Rice Krispy Treats that I've ever shoved in my pie hole. And, in case there was any doubt, I've shoved a lot of rice krispy treats in my mouth!! 

I found the most delicioso recipe over at this blog - Seddyblog and had bookmarked these to try "someday". Well, that day just happened to be today! It's hot as a mother outside, it's 80° in my house, it's been raining all day and I've still been in a semi-bitchy, poor pity me mood. So, I cheered myself up by making these amazing treats. 




I'm glad I had the willpower to take a picture before I dove in. Yeah, I'll admit -- I didn't even wait for them to cool before I started scarfing them down! And I totally licked the pot clean and the spatula too. It's just been one of those days! 

Here's the recipe:

1 stick of butter (original recipe called for unsalted but I used salted & they turned out perfect!)
10 oz of marshmallows 
6 cups of Rice Krispies
1/4 tsp salt (I omitted this since my butter was salted!)

1) Melt butter in a thick bottomed pan over medium heat. Let the butter continue to melt until it's a nice golden color and smells nutty. The original recipe said that the butter would have brown flakes but my pot is dark & I didn't see flakes. I didn't want to take a chance of it burning though! 

2) Remove pot from heat & stir in marshmallows until melted. Mine didn't melt all the way before the pot/butter started to cool so I put it back on low heat for a few seconds.

3) Stir in cereal until thoroughly mixed. Sneak a few tastes "just to make sure". Forget that there are pieces of cereal & marshmallow on your oven mitt, take mitt off, place under arm whilst opening the backdoor to let yapping dog inside. 

4) Realize your stupid mistake when you go to get oven mitt and realize it's now glued to your arm pit. Scrape off already dried marshmallows and rice krispies from arm.

5) Pour what's left in the pot into a greased 13 x 9 dish. Smooth it out with a greased piece of parchment paper. Or, do what I did and use the leftover greasy wrapper from the stick of butter! 

6) Attempt to wait until treats have cooled before you start to devour. Go ahead. I bet you $10000 you can't resist eating them all warm & gooey! 
 






 

No comments: