16 April 2009

Hi. Remember me?

I'm back. Not that anyone knew I was leaving, myself included, but I've been away for a bit & have finally found the time to actually sit in front of my laptop and catch up on everything!

I've been quite busy here in Maryland! Will and I built some raised garden beds for the yard. Well, technically Will built them. But I had to explain to him how I wanted them built and the sizes I needed, etc. That took up one afternoon. And then the next day we decided we were building a deck on the back of our house. Just kinda out of the blue. That took the next two days. It's still not finished. I'm not pleased about that because we can't even use the deck yet seeing as there are no stairs. Or rails. And I'm quite clumsy so we need rails for sure before I get on the deck.

And last weekend we went over to WV to spend the weekend with Will's side of the family. We drove over Friday and had a fabulous home cooked dinner with the family because Will's uncle was leaving the next morning to drive to Texas for some military school thing for 6 weeks. After dinner, we sat around the bonfire and had some drinks. Normally, I'm a beer person. I used to drink only mixed drinks but sometime around the age of 22 I switched over to beer. I freaking LOVE beer. I switch brands/flavors constantly. But Friday night I was a big dumbass (with a capital D) and had mixed drinks. Oh, they were mighty tasty, those cherry flavored vodkas and diet Sierra Mist drinks. Oh, the Hell I paid on Saturday though.

I woke up that morning to a severe allergic reaction to something in the vodka. I was violently ill (and not like hangover ill) and ended up spending 3 hours in Urgent Care and the ER. That was not fun at all. I felt so bad. Not just because I literally thought I was dying but because Will was supposed to go play golf with his brother and dad that day but ended up having to drive me to the hospital. He was such a trooper though. I know he hates shots and needles and he didn't even pass out while I was getting that huge shot in my behind. Or those huge vials of blood taken. I'm proud of him!

We had Easter dinner with my aunt-in-law's parents (got that?) on Sunday and then drove back here to Baltimore, where I promptly passed out in bed for a couple of hours. Monday I was a little too optimistic and despite feeling like poo I ended up driving down to the Base & meeting Will for lunch and then doing some shopping at the thrift store across for the base. Yeah, I kind of knew I was overdoing it when I kept getting lightheaded and feeling like I was going to faint while shopping. I did manage to pick up some great stuff though!!

Tuesday I had a doctors appt on base so once again I had to drive those 80ish miles round trip. I am not pleased with military doctors. At all. I have yet to have a good experience with any of them. I had an EKG on Saturday which came back abnormal so I needed a follow-up done on Tuesday. Can I just say that I think that after years of schooling that doctors lose their common sense? My doctor (whom I just saw for the first time) is a idiot. I'm being kind. I really want to call her something that starts with a B! I have to see her again next Tuesday to try to get to the bottom of all of my ongoing symptoms because she wasn't interested in listening to my problems the other day. I really, truly hope she doesn't come across as condescending as she did this week or I might have to go off on her AND Tricare!

Today was 25% day at the Value Village (for cardholders, anyhow) and I managed to find *tons* of great stuff, some of which I've listed in my Etsy shop already. I've still got a lot of pictures to take tomorrow though! Will is gone again so I should have ample time to get stuff done before he comes home tomorrow night.

Well, that's the latest news on me. I hope to find something interesting & worthy to talk about soon because I don't like ignoring my blog for weeks at a time! Maybe if Will gets the deck finished this weekend I'll have pictures to share!! So, what have you all been up to the last couple of weeks? I haven't even stopped by to read any of my favorite blogs lately so I'll definitely be doing that later tonight.


Thrifty Miss Priss said...

oh my gosh! how awful that you were so sick! I'm a beer girl too....can't do the mixed drink thing because they taste too darn good!

Emily said...

Glad to hear from you and hear all your happenings! :) Have a wonderful day!

Vintagesquirrel said...

Hi Lori,
Thanks so much for all your suggestions for our family trip to DC. We are there now, went to the zoo today (Sunday), and will try to get into several of the Smithsonian museums tomorrow.

So sorry to hear of your medical issues. Believe me, I've had my fair share of doctors over the past few years. I went through lots of testing for MS, had 2 discs removed from my spine (in the neck area.) I've had numerous MRIs, CAT scans, x-rays, lumbar puncture, steroid injections... you name it. Try not to lose your sense of humor through it all, though. I think you're absolutely right that many of those in medicine are really lacking in the compassion department.

Take care of yourself, sweetie...
-Michelle (aka Vintagesquirrel)

P.S. I'm a beer girl myself.

Tikimama said...

Hi! Just found your blog through The Vintage Village site! Look forward to reading more later!

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

If you like beer try Moose's Drool...it's good for whatever ales you.....you won't need no stinkn' doctor!