11 June 2008

Work in Progress (or, Wow! This place is a mess!!)



This picture is of my work table area in my scraproom. This is the first time in the 6 weeks we've lived in this house that the desk has been clean enough to take a picture. I have spent days, literally, working in this room trying to get it organized but it still isn't finished.


I am still trying to find a suitable cabinet or bookshelf to replace a few other pieces of furniture in this room that are just not working. I even thought about having the Husband build one but when we priced out lumber we realized it would probably be more expensive to build it than if I found a used one somewhere. Hopefully I find something soon because the clutter and mess is driving me crazy!! If the rest of the room ever gets organized, I'll share more pictures, but I refuse to photograph this room with it looking as it does now! Such a mess.

This little craft room was one of the deciding features of buying this house. Well, that and we were running out of time before our lease was up and all of the other houses we'd put offers on had fallen through but I digress. Anyhow, when the husband and I decided to buy a house, I knew the one thing I really really wanted was a craft room. At our house in SC I never had a room just for all of my scrapbooking/craft stuff. I had to share our room over the garage with a pool table and then I moved all of my stuff into one of the guest rooms but I never did have a place that was *just* for me.

And the house we were renting here in Maryland had a little sunroom on the back of the house that I used as just a craft room but it wasn't very functional. It was also the only way to get outside so the dogs were always coming through and leaving muddy footprints and hair all over the place. Not to mention it was not heated nor did it have air conditioning- which was a nightmare last summer. It was so hot in that room that my paper was curling up!

So, all of the houses we looked at had to have a place for me to use as a craft room. And I really wanted a place with a basement too, which we have, but we're dealing with a little infestation of camel crickets so I do not go down there. At. All. Not until the husband deals with all of the camel crickets.

Anyway, we found this house, probably the 100th one we looked at and either the 3rd or 4th one we put an offer on, and it had this perfect little room off of the dining room that I just knew would be my craft space. It's really too small to be anything else except maybe an office, measuring maybe 7' x 10'. That sounds like a decent sized room but it's still a little on the small side. Either that or I have entirely too much junk in here. I'm going with the first theory though!

I am just so happy to finally have a place -as small as it is- to spread out and do my scrapping and not have to worry about cleaning it all up every day or having to deal with the dogs coming through several times a day getting the place all dirty! Now if I can just get the rest of the stuff organized and put away and actually start working on my list of projects. At least it's better than it was a month ago and with any luck I'll find the perfect storage piece within the next couple of weeks and then my room will look complete!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are looking to move as well- and I am on the lookout for a place to have as a craft area - where I can do my scrapbooking and sewing, etc. Your room looks great! My desk upstairs is looking pretty bad since we came home from vacation! I need to go and clean...

Anyway, thanks for stopping by to say hello! My hubby is going to talk to him today. We'll see how it goes.

Have a great day!

The Apron Queen said...

Woo Hoo! Your wild guess paid off! Jesolo di Lido is the right answer! Leave me a comment on the blog or send an e-mail on how to reach you for an address! CONGRATS!!