29 August 2011

Monday Morning Mooos

Hola, friends. I'm happy to say that we made it through the storm with minimal damage and without any real loss of power. Unfortunately, many in the area weren't so lucky. The common area between our apartment building and the one behind us looks sort of like a war zone with tree pieces all over the place. There were several large trees down on the surrounding property when the honey and I ventured out yesterday morning. We went to my ex's house to check on things since he's out of town and as suspected, we found extensive damage to the willow tree that sits beside the deck and then of course, we found this when we went inside:

Yeah, that's water in the basement. Luckily for him, he removed all of his possessions from the house prior to the storm. Luckily for me, I don't live there anymore so I don't have to deal with the mess!! He did ask if I'd plug in the sump pump and drain the water but at that time, it was still raining outside and I told him no. I wasn't going to spend several hours down there draining water when it was still raining. Hopefully by now, some of it has receded. 

So, after we left his house, we tried in vain to find a restaurant open for breakfast. The couple of places that were open were completely packed so we kept driving, ended up down in Annapolis, took a really long route back home, saw more storm clouds rolling in and then decided to give up on our quest to find food and came home. We both ended up taking naps right here in the living room, beside the pooches. When we awoke, the skies were bright blue, there was a gentle breeze blowing and you'd never have known we just went through a freaking tropical storm, mere hours before!! 
I was going stir crazy from being in the house all weekend long and our recent lack of any sort of fun, seeing how the honey has been working 7 days a week for the entire month of August so I insisted we get out of the house and do something entertaining, which led us up to Timonium to the Maryland State Fair. It was a perfect afternoon, especially since we got in for free! I am cheap and I don't think this fair is all that good and I certainly wouldn't pay $8 to get in. Since it was free though, I figured why not. 

Our first stop inside the entrance was the Cow Palace. There weren't as many animals as I was expecting. We saw this cow and her baby, Kendall. At first, they had their backs to us but when Momma Cow saw I was trying to take pics, she actually turned around and walked towards us. The baby was too freaking cute!!


 Kendall Cow, 6 months old

The Alpacas were next to the cows. I love Alpacas!! Their cute little hair just cracks me up. Once, when the ex and I were over in West Virginia, we were driving back to his aunt's house where we were staying and as we turned into her long drive way, I noticed something at the top of the road, near her house. I thought it was a herd of deer but oh no, not quite. Seems the neighbors down the street forgot to lock up the barn and their entire group of Alpacas ventured out and ended up at the Aunt's house. So there we were, hooking up Alpaca's to leads and taking them back down the street. It was hilarious. I'd never walked an Alpaca before but I quickly fell in love, even though one of those suckers stepped right on my foot. Surprisingly, it wasn't that heavy!! 

The Alpacas at the fair weren't very friendly though and seemed kind of mad that I was in their faces taking pictures. I guess they'd been dealing with crazy city folks all day though so it's understandable. 

The honey and I didn't ride any rides, and after getting our fill of junk food, we took one last stroll through the Palace, where I promptly stepped in a fresh cow patty and then called it a night. Overall, I enjoyed seeing the animals but didn't feel it was worth the 40 minute drive to get to the fair. I probably won't go back since this was my second time going up there and I just don't think it's all that great. 

Anyhow, it's Monday, the honey is back to work, I'm home and I have a to-do list a mile long. I've been neglecting my chores and I need to get caught up on those. I also have orders to package and mail today and tons of items that need to be photographed and then listed on Etsy. I think it's time to turn off the laptop, get a refill of coffee and get cracking on those!!  

No comments: