05 July 2008

Retail Therapy Saturday

Well, yesterday was a total bust! It started to get pretty cloudy around noon but I figured I'd go downtown anyhow in hopes that it wouldn't be a complete washout. It was very overcast but I didn't mind because that kept it from being too hot. It was still quite humid but at least it wasn't so sunny. I made my way to the Park & Ride Lot, caught the train into the city and then found my way down to the Inner Harbor. It was my first time down there so I wasn't really sure where I was going. I found the Harbor (and some shade, thank you Jesus!) and listened to a band play. I read online that they were supposed to be singing Motown/Doo Wop music so that was what made me really want to go downtown in the first place. The group really wasn't that good. Ten minutes of singing songs about Sesame Street, Barney and Elmo was so ANNOYING!

After the band was finished it was around 5:00 and another band was supposed to come on stage and play Top 40, which really isn't my thing, but it was something to do until the fireworks were supposed to start. Well, it started raining about 5:15, steady rain, and I decided I just didn't want to see fireworks that badly. So I started the long walk back to the train station. Now, in reality, it's only a couple of blocks, but the genius that I am, I decided to pack 40 pounds worth of crap into my backpack yesterday and I was really wondering if I was INSANE as I was schlepping my soaked, sore self back to the train.

Anyhow, I stayed inside the rest of the night, sulking and feeling sorry for myself since not only did I not get to see the fireworks but I was spending the night alone! I felt much better about my decision to come home after I turned on PBS and saw the live show from DC and all of those poor souls, soaking wet and standing around in little plastic trash bag ponchos. They looked miserable! I was quite comfy in my bed with my laptop and my doggies.

Today started out the same way as yesterday ended, soggy and humid. I really missed not going yard saling today but I made up for it by hitting a couple of thrift stores and an antique store. I drove over to one of my favorite Goodwill's. It's about 12 miles from here but it's really worth the drive (and the gas) because I always find good things there for not a lot of money. I've noticed though that they are starting to raise their prices on housewares which isn't good because I won't shop there if it gets out of hand!

It was insanely crowded when I arrived, which almost made me reconsider going in but I'm so glad I did. I found some fabulous things- like this little vintage suitcase for $2. It's a Grasshopper brand, and I don't think I've ever seen one of these before. Now, I don't really *need* another suitcase, especially one I'll never actually use (because I use my Vera Bradley bags now!) but I couldn't resist buying this. Why you might ask? Because it's plaid. More specifically, it's the Black Watch Tartan. Now, my last name (well, maiden but it's still my last because I didn't change my name when I got married) is Keith. And I love my last name & all of the history that goes along with it. But, it's very hard to find things in the Keith Tartan unless you're either at an actual Tartan shop or unless you are ordering it online. So, the Black Watch Tartan is sort of a close match to the Keith Tartan and it's much more readily available.



Keith Tartan:

Black Watch Tartan:

I also snagged 8 (yes, eight) rolls of this Sasheen Ribbon. Each spool has 75 yards on it and I have no idea what I'll do with 600 yards of this ribbon but it's old and it was only 25 cents for each spool!


I also picked up this shelf paper, with a decorative edging for 50 cents. Personally, I think it's kind of an ugly pattern- I'm not much into the oranges/golds/browns of the 70s but it was still in the original packaging so I had to have it. Maybe I'll sell it but for now it's here at my house and it doesn't really take up much room!


I saw this gift wrap in a bin shoved under a table. I can't tell if it's really vintage or not but it was only 50 cents so into the cart it went.


As I was checking out, I saw this cute little Mixer Cover. I love that it's still in the original packaging. Also, it was 50 cents and I felt it needed to come home with me. I doubt I'll use it but it was too cute to pass up.

Mixer Cover

Lastly, I found this teapot. I don't care for teapots really, but my Momma has one exactly like this and has had it for as long as I can remember. Probably since before I was even born. When she was up here in Maryland in May we went to a thrift store and as we were checking out, she saw this exact same teapot. It matched the one she had at her house and she said she was buying it to give to my aunt. I don't know which aunt. I have 3 on her side of the family. Anyhow, so this teapot today was only $2 so I bought it. I called her and told her she could have it if she wanted it. Maybe I'll find another one and then she can give one to each of her sisters!!

Relco Teapot

After the Goodwill, I went across the street to an antique store. Rarely do I buy anything from antique stores because to me, the thrill is in the hunt and I'm always hunting a good bargain. I will buy vintage postcards and old Mason jars from those places but I mostly stop in to see what everyone else is selling. It's so reassuring to me to walk into a shop and see so many things that I have here at home. It proves to me (and to my husband) that all of this "junk" I pick up at thrift stores actually has some value! Like a vintage kitchen stool I saw today at the antique store, you know, the ones that have the seat that lifts up and stairs under it- yeah, I bought one for $12 a couple of years ago and I saw one today at the antique store that was for sale for $85! I guess I am too thrifty to actually buy something like that at an antique store. But like I said, it's nice to know all of my treasures are actually worth more than I paid for them!

Well, that's enough for today! I'm hoping the weather fairs off tomorrow because I am tired of the rainy, gloomy, humid stuff! I want to go into DC and check out the baby flamingos that were born at the zoo this past spring. If the weather doesn't cooperate I guess I can always go to some other thrift stores tomorrow!


Pink Icing on the Cake said...

You will have to keep me posted on your vintage camper. I can't wait to someday get one.


Juri said...

I really enjoyed reading your post...I felt like I went on a journey with you! Loved the pictures, too. I happen to adore tea pots and love finding one as I go through some of the old shops...so I particulary loved the picture of the tea pot! I look forward to your next journey!


Bettsi McComb said...

I have a story to tell you about Grasshopper luggage and my grandmother. During WWII, she was a single mother. She married a ne'er-do-well at the age of 14 (1936) and had my mother when she was 16. In 1940, she joined the Army and left my mother with relatives. While a nurse for the Army, she met and fell in love with the man I grew up calling "Grandpa". They were an odd couple- the girl from the wild west of Arizona and the Jewish boy from Brooklyn. They settled down after the war in Oakland, CA and my mother joined them. Not long after, they all made the long train trip out to New York to meet Grandpa's parents. I still have the big suitcase and small hat case they used for the trip. They look just like your little suitcase! If I lived anywhere near you, I would have to come and steal your suitcase! LOL! Sure is cute stuff, isn't it? Thanks for letting me share my story!